Presented by David Baker, October 3, 2011 Return to David Baker Lessons
TEXT: Rom. 16:1-2
A. The word "church" used two ways, universal and local.
B. phoebe, from the sound of it, was the ideal member.
C. how would we characterize the ideal member today? Do
we have the Right idea?
I. ANSWER IS SEEN IN NECESSARY ELEMENTS FOR A
A. Agreement to work together.
B. Common oversight or supervision.
C. Common goals and purposes( Phil. 1:27 ).
D. Pooling of action ( talents )& resources to accomplish
work ( Eph. 4:15-16 ).
E. The ideal member believes this and behaves in the proper way.
1. Rather than say "you folks" or "they," he says "we."
2. He sees that he has a part to play and that he is vital( 1 Cor. 12:22 ).
3. The church will be vital to him, reflected in commitment ( Mat. 12:46-50 ).
F. "Attitude" & "action" important. Proper motive will be
II. WHAT DOES THE PROPER ATTITUDE INVOLVE? WHAT
A. First result - Presence.
1. Desire to be with Jesus & fellows( Acts 2:42ff.; Rom. 12:10 ).
2. Beneficial to the church( Heb. 10:24-25 ).
B. Second result - A Desire to Grow and Know.
1. He will study( 2 Tim. 2:15; 2 Pet. 3:18; 1 Pet. 1:1-2 ).
2. He will apply these things to himself( 1 Tim. 4:16; 2 Tim. 3:14 ).
3. He will teach others( Heb. 5:12; 2 Tim. 2:2; 1 Pet. 3:15 ).
4. He will support others in their efforts to teach( Gal. 6:6 ).
C. Third result - He Will Keep Himself Unspotted( James 1:27 ).
1. Timothy warned( 1 Tim. 4:16, 12; 2 Tim. 2:22 ).
2. Paul was careful( 1 Cor. 9:25-27 ).
3. Beneficial to the church:
a. the effect on outsiders( Titus 2:6-8; 1 Pet. 2:11-12 ).
b. an example to members( 1 Tim. 4:12 ).
D. Fourth result - He Will Contribute According To His Talent
( Rom. 12:3-8 ).
1. The church is a functioning body with many members( vs. 4-5 ).
2. We need to keep our talent in perspective( vs. 3; 1 Cor. 12:22 ).
3. We need to exercise our abilities( vs. 6-8 ).
4. But give God the glory( 1 Pet. 4:11 ).
5. If each will do this the church will prosper( Eph. 4:16 ).
III. WE SHOULD STRIVE FOR THE IDEAL.
A. No one is perfect on this score.
1. Paul was not( Phil. 3:12a, 13a ).
2. We don't measure close to him! Not even the best of us.
B. Our duty is to strive toward perfection.
1. Paul's example( Phil. 3:12b-14 ).
2. Spiritually oriented people will follow( Phil. 3:15-16 ).
3. In the meantime they will do their best( Phil. 3:16 ).