TEXT: Matt. 17:1-8
A. JESUS OFTEN WENT TO THE MOUNTAINS.
1. There was always a purpose.
2. The result was always a deeper resolve to serve the Father.
B. IN THIS CASE HE TOOK 3 OF HIS DISCIPLES WITH HIM.
1. He would have us learn a different lesson from these climbs.
2. He would have us follow in his footsteps up those mountains (1 Pet. 2:21-23).
C. WE WANT TO DISCUSS FIVE MOUNTAINS JESUS CLIMBED.
I. Matt. 4:1-8-11. THE MOUNTAIN OF TEMTATION.
A. TEMPTED IN ALL POINTS (Heb. 4:16).
B. WHAT POINTS ARE WE TEMPTED WITH? (1 John 2:15-17).
C. THE PROCESS OF TEMPTATION (James 1:13-15).
1. His own lust – strong desire. Internal Component.
2. And enticed – circumstance or encouragement. External Component.
3. When does the lust conceive and become sin? (Rom. 6:12).
D. JESUS WAS WITHOUT SIN – HE OVERCAME (Heb. 4:16).
E. HOW MAY WE OVERCOME TEMPTATION? ( 1 Cor. 10:13 ).
1. Work on the Lust ( Rom. 12:9).
2. Avoid enticement ( 1 Cor. 15:33 ).
3. Trust the Lord ( Eph. 6:16 ).
4. Where does this trust come from? (Matt. 4 – It is written – Rom. 10:17).
II. Matt. 5:1. THE MOUNTAIN OF AUTHORITY.
A. JESUS WENT TO THE MOUNTAIN TO TEACH.
1. Moved by his compassion (Matt. 9:36).
2. An integral part of his mission (Luke 19:10; 15:1). Came to “hear.”
3. The words of Jesus are an expression of God’s will (John 12:49; Luke 10:16).
4. They are authoritative (Matt. 7:28-29).
a. The function of the Scribe (Neh. 8:1, 8).
b. As one having authority (Matt. 28:18; Eph. 1:20-23).
B. JESUS CALLED THE APOSTLES TO THE MOUNTAIN (Matt. 28:16-20).
C. AND HE CALLS US THERE (2 Tim. 2:2).
III. John 6:15. THE MOUNTAIN OF HUMILITY.
A. THE SON OF GOD (John 1:14; 17:5; Col. 2:9).
B. YET HE CAME TO SERVE (Matt. 20:28).
C. WHO IS THE GREATEST? (Matt. 20:26-27).
IV. Matt. 17:1-8. THE MOUNT OF TRANSFIGURATION (Rom. 12:2).
A. A PROFOUND CHANGE IS TO TAKE PLACE WHEN WE BECOME DISCIPLES.
1. 2 Cor. 5:17. New Creatures –Products of a New Birth (John 3:3-5).
2. Birth of the inner man – Not just putting off the old man’s doings (Col. 3:9-10).
3. Luke 6:43-45.What we do is a product of what we are inside. Therefore the heart
must change if any change of deeds is to be permanent.
B. A DISCIPLE CHANGES HIS VIEWPOINT.
1. Matt. 6:31. The kingdom cause comes before wealth, pleasure, or family.
2. Col. 3:1-2. The disciple’s mind is set. (2 Cor. 4:16-18).
3. We are willing to pay the cost of what is important (Luke 14:26-28, 33).
4. Matt. 6:19-21. Where is your treasure?
C. THE MEANS OF OUR TRANSFIGURATION? (Rom. 12:2) Renovating the mind.
1. Grace comes teaching (Titus 2:11-12).
2. Where is that teaching found? (2 Tim. 3:16-17).
V. Mark 14:26. THE MOUNT OF OLIVES.
A. GOLGOTHA, NOT A HILL OR MOUNTAIN.
Aramaic, Gulgaltha, Hebrew Gulgoleth. (See CALVARY, Latin) Greek (Luke 23:33) Cranion, "a skull"; "Calvary" is from Vulgate The "place" of our Lord's crucifixion and burial, not called in the Gospels a mount, as it is now commonly. ...(Fausset's Bible Dictionary)
That the name was due to the skull-like shape of the hill-a modern popular view. No early Latin or Greek writer suggests such an idea, and there is no evidence from the Gospels that the Crucifixion occurred on a raised place at all. Indeed Epiphanius ( 4 th century) expressly says: "There is nothing to be seen on the place resembling this name; for it is not situated upon a height that it should be called (the place) of a skull, answering to the place of the head in the human body." ... the hill was skull-like in form is quite a modern
idea.(I S B E)
B. THE GARDEN OF GETHSEMENE WAS ON THE MT. OF OLIVES.
1. This was the point of NO RETURN, where Jesus was arrested.
2. A sacrifice of will and complete submission (Luke 22:39-44; 1 Pet. 2:23).
C. WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO BE A DISCIPLE? (Luke 9:23; 14:27; Matt. 19:27).
1. There must be a sacrifice of will (Phil. 2:5-8). How does this reading begin?
2. A commitment to his will (1 Pet. 2:23; 4:19).
3. Jesus is the Boss (1 Pet. 3:15). Accept him as your personal Boss! (Acts 2:36)
D. FOR JESUS TO RULE, THERE MUST BE A CRUCIFIXION OF SELF.(Gal. 2:20)
1. Not our will, but his (1 Pet. 4:1-2).
2. Would we follow in his steps? (1 Pet. 2:21; Luke 22:42).
A. FOLLOWING JESUS MEANS DOING AS HE WOULD DO IF HE WAS US.
1. What would Jesus do? IN EVERY DECISION!
2. What does Jesus want me to do?
3. Grace give the answer in the Bible – God’s authoritative word.
B. ARE WE TRULY FOLLOWING HIM?